World COPD Day, 20 November 2019
Every year World COPD Day (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) is commemorated on the third Wednesday of November. It is being organized by the renowned Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) in association with health experts and COPD patient groups all around the world.
COPD condition is not a single disease; it is an umbrella term to describe multiple chronic lung diseases. It is an under-diagnosed lung disease and even becomes life-threatening in advanced cases. Let’s get to know some facts about this chronic condition.
Facts About COPD
- It is the fourth leading cause of death at present in the world.
- Experts say that by 2030 COPD might become the 3rd leading cause of death.
- It is estimated that the prevalence of 251 million COPD cases globally in 2017.
- Nearly 3.17 million people died due to COPD in 2015.
- In developing countries, more than 90% of deaths occur due to COPD.
- It is estimated that the COPD burden will increase in future because of continued exposure smoking, air pollution and the aging of the population.
- COPD may not be curable, but proper treatment can help you to relieve from the symptoms and substantially improves the quality of your life and even reduces the risk of death.
COPD is defined by persistent respiratory conditions and airflow limitation due to airway abnormalities caused due to exposing to poisonous particles or gases. COPD can be preventable by avoiding the risk factors causing it mentioned in the infographic.
The most common symptoms of respiratory problems include:
- Sputum production
- Wheezing and chest tightness
- Fatigue, weight loss, depression, anxiety
We, Premier Hospital, is always concerned about public health and wanted you to know how dangerous COPD is growing. “It’s Never Too Early Nor Too Late” to address about airway diseases. Let’s join together and create awareness by educating people around you.
If you are having any respiratory, never hesitate to consult our expert doctors at Premier Hospital.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
October 20, 2021
October 17, 2021
October 15, 2021
October 12, 2021
October 11, 2021
September 29, 2021
September 20, 2021
September 18, 2021
September 10, 2021
September 05, 2021
Santosh Kumar Paila