New Born Care Week, 15th – 21st November 2019
Every year Newborn Care Week is observed in the month of November from 15 to 21. This week aims to create awareness among people about the importance of newborn care for the child to eradicate neonatal deaths and increase survival and development.
The first 28 days of life(neonatal period) is a very important period for every newborn child survival; during this period, the highest risk of deaths per day has been recorded than any other period during childhood. For a newborn child, the first month of life is the most crucial period for lifelong health and growth.
Every year in the first 28 days of newborn life, 2.6 million babies dying and most of the deaths happening in the first week. The main goal of newborn care week is to reduce the mortality rate to 20 or less per 1000 live births by 2035. This can only be accomplished with special efforts. These newborn deaths can be prevented by following certain effective health measures provided at the time of birth and in the first week after birth.
These are the leading causes of newborn deaths are:
- Complications during birth
- Severe infections
The main cause for newborn deaths in India are preterm births (35%), neonatal infection (33%) and, birth asphyxia (20%), and congenital malformations (9%).
Newborn care tips include:
- Immediate and thorough drying
- skin-to-skin contact with the mother
- Cord clamping and cutting after birth in the first minutes
- Exclusive breastfeeding
- Should provide ventilation for newborns who do not start breathing on their own immediately after birth
- After the first hour of delivery, they should get eye care, vitamin K and other immunizations
Let’s join together to reduce newborn deaths. As social responsibility we, Premier Hospital creating awareness among people about the importance of newborn care.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
- December 13, 2019
- December 12, 2019
- December 09, 2019
- December 03, 2019
- December 01, 2019
- November 27, 2019
- November 20, 2019
- November 18, 2019
- November 18, 2019
Ask a Query
- How healthy are you? 40s are an excellent time to
- World Patient Safety Day is celebrated every year
- International Disability Day is observed internati