National Dental Hygiene Month October, 2018
Brushing our teeth daily is one of the good habits taught to us from childhood. So, when it comes to dental health, we are all set. But, are we really all set? If brushing is all it takes to keep your teeth clean and healthy, there wouldn’t be so many victims of tooth decay in India.
Exactly how many, you ask?
Let’s find out.
- 55% of children below the age of 12 years have a dental disease.
- 90% of adults have a serious dental condition that threatens the life of a tooth.
The sad part is that we have not seen any significant reduction of these numbers for a long long time. And this is what stresses the necessity for having a National Dental Hygiene Awareness Month – so that, we can spread awareness of proper dental care to reduce the decay-epidemic which is destroying our teeth.
On the same occasion, on behalf of Premier Hospitals, we bring you a few tips that will help you to take better care of your teeth.
Tips For Good Dental Hygiene
Brush Twice Daily
- Brush just two times – no more, no less.
- Brush after your dinner and avoid eating anything after that.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush. This is denoted by the word “soft” on your brush packing cover.
- Brush the outer, inner and upper sides of your teeth.
Do More Than Just Brushing
- Take care of your gums and tongue too.
- Massage your gums with toothpaste everytime you brush and rinse.
- Clean your tongue with a tongue cleaner. Some toothbrushes come with a built-in tongue cleaner.
- Floss regularly to clean areas between teeth where the brush cannot reach.
Eat The Right Food
- Avoid snacking.
- Avoid sugary foods like candy, pastries, ice cream etc.
- Avoid carbonated drinks.
- Do not smoke or consume alcohol or tobacco.
- Eat more calcium-rich food like milk and other dairy products.
- Drink more water; do not let your mouth go dry.
Care For Your Child’s Teeth
- ‘Milk teeth’ is not a free pass – take good care of your child’s teeth.
- Teach your child good dental habits.
Take Additional (yet non-optional) Care
- Rinse your mouth each time after eating.
- Rinse your toothbrush with water after use and allow it to air dry.
- Change your toothbrush after 6 months.
- Your teeth are for chewing. Do not use them for tearing a package or opening a bottle or a nut.
Visit A Dentist
Visit a dentist – not just when you get a toothache; visit a dentist once in 6 months no matter what. Based on the statistics, this is a no-brainer on why this is a non-negotiable step in maintaining your dental hygiene.
At the same time, you must know that, often, dental decay does not show any symptom until it reaches an advanced stage. Sometimes, you may notice that your gums bleed but painlessly. This is often ignored by people. But it is a warning sign that you might already be suffering from an advanced dental disease like plaque, tartar, tooth decay etc.
So, make sure that you visit a dentist at least twice a year. A professional dental checkup will help you know about any hidden dental threats. And if there are any, you can start working on the issue immediately preventing it from causing permanent damage to your teeth.
National Dental Hygiene Month is observed in October and it will be worth it only if you pledge to take good care of your health and we, at Premier Hospitals, pledge to provide you with the best dental care.
We have taken our pledge; have you?
About The Doctor:
Dr Abhinand Potturi (MDS, Fellowship (AIMS), AOCMF Fellowship (Beijing))
Dr Abhinand Potturi is a chief consultant in the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery with an immense experience in reconstruction of the face, jaw bones, mouth and facial cosmetic surgery. He completed his under-graduation from Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore and went on to specialize in Maxillofacial surgery (MDS) from the prestigious Government Medical College, Trivandrum.
He underwent advanced training in the management of complex facial trauma, cleft lip/ cleft palate surgeries in the year 2009 from Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi. He has had international exposure in performing Facial cosmetic and jaw bone corrective surgeries (Orthognathic Surgeries) from renowned Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taiwan in 2014. After undergoing training in Microvascular anastomosis at Ganga Hospitals, Coimbatore, he went on to do his second international fellowship training in Microvascular reconstructive surgery of the face and jaw bones from the eminent Peking University School of Stomatology, Beijing, China in the year 2017.
About The Hospital:
Since the inception of Premier Hospital in 1991 till today, we have grown to unprecedented levels, due to our excellence in medical sciences and healthcare. Premier Hospital is the creation of Dr Mahesh Marda and when it was first established, was only a small, 30-bed hospital facility. Back then, we provided only secondary care to patients, but that certainly has changed in the present landscape.
- Best Dental Hospital in Gachibowli Hyderabad
- Best Dental Specialists near me
- Dental Hygiene Hospital in Mehdipatnam Hyderabad
- Dental Hygiene treatment in Hyderabad
- Eat right food for Dental care
- National Dental Hygiene Month
- National Dental Hygiene Month 2018
- Take care about your child teeth
- Tips For Good Dental Hygiene
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
October 20, 2020
October 15, 2020
October 14, 2020
October 10, 2020
October 07, 2020
August 22, 2020
August 14, 2020
August 01, 2020
July 28, 2020
Santosh Kumar Paila
Ask a Query
When a Sneeze can break your bones, That's Osteopo
Clean Care is in your Hands. Global Hand
Just think that you cannot stand or sit steadily a
Invest In Mental Health: Greater Investmen
Pregnancy is the most delightful moment for a woma