Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Let’s start with a few facts on Breast Cancer…
- Breast Cancer is the most common type of cancer in Indian women.
- Only 66% of breast cancer victims survive the chronic disease.
- A significant percentage of breast cancer cases are not diagnosed until they reach an advanced stage.Hence, there is a strong need to observe a Breast Cancer Awareness Month. And it so happens that October has been chosen as the month where we “Think Pink” for Breast Cancer every year.
So, What is it that we need to be aware of?
Discussing our sexuality is still taboo in many parts of India; and by extension, so is talking about breasts. Superstitions and the moral policing in these areas are such that women would prefer death and suffering rather than talk about it.
But that is not a healthy thing to do. While we value tradition and respect privacy, health cannot be compromised on these excuses. We need to stop hiding behind falsely placed moral boundaries and come out to discuss burning issues like breast cancer, because your bold step could be the difference between life and death for someone. Let’s make a vow that we will together spread awareness to our women, our families and our community about the dangers of allowing breast cancer to go unnoticed.
So, how does one go about it?
The international symbol of showing solidarity towards the fight against breast cancer is to wear a pink ribbon. But that will not make any sense to those who do not know much about it. A better way could be to wear a badge for breast cancer awareness. This way, people might understand and appreciate it enough to join the cause.
If you wish to be more actively involved, you could spread awareness among the people you see around you – your own family members, neighbours, colleagues, peer group, or even a school nearby. The things that you must educate people on are:
- Encourage women to talk about their health.
- Encourage women to go for regular health check ups or consult an expert if they feel anything unusual.
- Educate people around you about the self-analysis of breast cancer or the lump test where they can keep a regular check on any existence, or sudden or gradual development of lumps in breasts.
- Make conversations to bust myths like only women can have breast cancer. Men are also vulnerable to breast cancer.
- Share related information on social media platforms. If you are a survivor or a victim yourself, share a detailed account of your experience. This will encourage and inspire those who read your story.
We stand in solidarity with all the victims of breast cancer, the survivors of breast cancer, the people who are at a threat of breast cancer and the loved ones of breast cancer victims. We will try our best to warn people of the dangers of breast cancer, make them aware of the initial symptoms of breast cancer and tell them the treatment options.
Together, we can reduce the burden of breast cancer that prevails in India.
About The Doctor:
MBBS, MD, DGO
Dr Shailaja Reddy is a senior consultant in Obstetrics and Gynecology. She has gained extensive experience in Gynecology after finishing medical school at Gandhi Medical College, Secunderabad, which followed by her MD at the same institute, achieving the Gold Medal there. Dr Reddy then Worked as Assistant Professor at Gandhi Medical College for 12 years, before coming into the field.
About The Hospital:
Since the inception of Premier Hospital in 1991 till today, we have grown to unprecedented levels, due to our excellence in medical sciences and healthcare. Premier Hospital is the creation of Dr Mahesh Marda and when it was first established, was only a small, 30-bed hospital facility. Back then, we provided only secondary care to patients, but that certainly has changed in the present landscape.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
August 01, 2021
July 25, 2021
July 21, 2021
July 19, 2021
July 11, 2021
June 30, 2021
June 27, 2021
June 17, 2021
June 14, 2021
June 08, 2021
Santosh Kumar Paila
Ask a Query
Hope you have cons
You may not know?
May the magic of Eid envelope you and the love of
The heart of a hum
The heart gets blo