All You Need To Know About Ovarian Cysts
The worst days of a month for you is when you have the horrible cramps. Even if they are worst you would be worried if you miss your periods.
You would start guessing
Either you would be pregnant or it this could be other problems related to your ovary probably a development of an ovarian cyst.
One such medical condition that is quite common among menstruating women is the development of an ovarian cyst.
Most women develop ovarian cyst at least once in their lifetime.
This cyst can be formed on a monthly basis also, but they are harmless and do not show any symptoms.
But in some cases the symptoms are persistent.
So here are facts that you should know if you have an ovarian cyst.
What Are Ovarian Cyst?
It is a fluid-filled sac called cyst which develops in one of the ovaries.
What Are The Types And Causes Of Ovarian Cysts?
The most common type is the functional cyst that includes
- Follicular cyst: it is formed due to the growth of a follicle which grows larger than normal during the menstrual cycle
- Corpus luteum cyst: corpus luteum is a part of a tissue inside the ovary that occurs after an egg has been released from a follicle.
The other types come under Non-functional Cyst
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome(PCOS): it is the presence of multiple cysts in both of the ovaries due to hormonal imbalance. It can lead to infertility.
- Dermoid cyst: these are the cyst with abnormal tissues that leads to a growth of other body parts present in the ovaries.
- Chocolate cyst/Endometriosis: in this condition basically the cells that grow inside the lining of the uterus starts growing outside the lining.
How Do You Know You Have An Ovarian Cyst?
The symptoms of ovarian symptoms include
- Swelling of the abdomen and you feel bloated
- You experience pain during bowel movement and during intercourse
- Pain in the pelvic region and lower back while menstruating
- Breast tenderness
- Nausea and vomiting
In severe condition, you will have fever, dizziness and rapid breathing which needs immediate assistance of a doctor.
Can Ovarian Cyst Cause Cancer?
In most of the cases, they do not cause ovarian cancer.
What Are The Treatment Options Of Ovarian Cysts?
The treatment should be solely done only after the doctor’s consultation. The doctor may recommend you to remove the cyst or shrink it depending on the type of cyst and its complications. They would recommend you to take birth control pills to prevent the growth of new cysts.
Also, surgeries are recommended if you have a larger cyst that needs to be removed. The surgeries include laparoscopy and laparotomy.
Once you feel that the symptoms are getting severe it is time for you to meet a doctor. You can consult the doctors at Premier hospital for more queries and consultations.
[Also Read: Dysfunctional ( Abnormal ) Uterine Bleeding ]
ABOUT THE HOSPITAL:
Since the inception of Premier Hospital in 1991 till today, we have grown to unprecedented levels, due to our excellence in medical sciences and healthcare. Premier Hospital is the creation of Dr Mahesh Marda and when it was first established, was only a small, 30-bed hospital facility. Back then, we provided only secondary care to patients, but that certainly has changed in the present landscape
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
November 15, 2018
November 13, 2018
November 06, 2018
October 29, 2018
October 25, 2018
October 24, 2018
October 18, 2018
October 17, 2018
October 15, 2018