Addressing The Context Of Suicide
“What’s wrong, why do you look so depressed?”
The word, depression, has been thrown around a lot in the past few years. It has been linked to various kinds of emotions which mainly circle around the factor of ‘being sad’. As per Science, being sad and being depressed are two very different things. Depression is a disorder, whereas being sad is a temporary feeling. Depression, in fact, can manifest as a multitude of feelings, both emotional and physical.
The lack of avenues to share the feeling experienced by people with depression often makes them feel very lonely and hopeless, triggering several harmful thoughts in their minds. One of them is suicide.
World Suicide Prevention Day
Firstly, suicide is NOT the answer. It might seem like an answer to end all your problems, but the pain which is caused by the aftermath of suicide is borne by the people who love and care for you. NO PROBLEM IS WORTH YOUR LIFE.
Approximately 80,000 commit suicide in a year, all over the world. Most of us “normal” people are oblivious of the problems which are faced by people who attempt suicide. In a world, which is as selfish as ours, it gets even more difficult to seek help, but there is always HOPE. People across the world are addressing mental health and its importance. Movies, TV shows and many other media platforms are showcasing it and more importantly, doctors and hospitals all over the world, including India are coming together to address the aspect of Suicide on the 10th of September, 2018.
When a person is suicidal, there are several symptoms. It is important for each and every person to know this and then try and help people who are suffering from depression and mental illness so they can be saved.
These symptoms are:
- Thinking, writing or talking about killing or hurting oneself.
- Depression that gets worse which includes, loss of appetite, drinking, insomnia.
- Having a death wish.
- Losing interest in things which you might have been interested in.
- The feeling of hopelessness, feeling helpless, or even worthless
- Putting your affairs in order, tying up various loose ends, or perhaps changing a will
- Saying things like “I give up”, “Things would be easier if I wasn’t here”
- A sudden switch from being very sad to showing signs of being very calm or pretending to be happy
- Visiting or calling people, out of the blue.
- Conversing about suicide
- Increase in consuming alcohol or using drugs
- Writing a note
- Watching and researching about well publicized murder and suicide reports
- Research on ways to commit suicide.
- Searching for methods to kill oneself, such as pills or consuming harmful liquids.
In a country like India, where misery is no stranger, neither is hope. It was difficult in the past to open up about depression and mental illness as it was considered ‘taboo’. But in recent years, mental illness and depression has been addressed and talked about, in person and with the help of media, helping gain some amount of awareness.
This has encouraged people to talk and to listen, to understand how this feeling can be overwhelming. All it needs is for someone to recognize it and for someone to be willing to help. So if you feel, that you are going through a crisis in life, you feel sad about everything, visit us and we will try our best to understand and help in any way we can.
About the Hospital:
Since the inception of Premier Hospital in 1991 till today, we have grown to unprecedented levels, due to our excellence in medical sciences and healthcare. Premier Hospital is the creation of Dr Mahesh Marda and when it was first established, was only a small, 30-bed hospital facility. Back then, we provided only secondary care to patients, but that certainly has changed in the present landscape.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
January 20, 2020
January 17, 2020
January 14, 2020
January 01, 2020
December 31, 2019
December 31, 2019
December 30, 2019
December 27, 2019
Santosh Kumar Paila
Ask a Query
We, Premier Hospit
Are you or a loved one interested in learning more
Many of us today are labeled as foodies because of